Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Chicago

I haven't updated for almost one month.
I restart my Blog again.

Now, I'm in Chicago!!
It's so cold,
not cold, it's freezing!!

The temperature of the last night was only 7 degree.
I experienced such low temperature for the first time in my life!

Yesterday, I came to Chicago.
Actually, I stayed at my friend's house on 17th - 22nd.

and, I write about my plan in winter break.

-28th: stay in Chicago
28-29th: stay in my friend's house (D.C)
29th - Jan 3rd: stay in my friend's house (Delaware)
4th - 7th: stay in my friend's grandfather's house (New Jersey) and go to New York every day for four days
7th - 9th : back to the friend's house (Delaware)
9th - 11th: go to Philadelphia or Baltimore (not sure)
11th - 20th: stay in my friend's house (Richmond)


I came to Chicago alone.
But, I could make friends here and we went sightseeing together today.
and, we are also together together tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.



About Chicago
As you can imagine, Chicago is a big city.
It was fun to walk and see buildings, and I enjoyed everyplace today.

At the same time, however, I'm so sad now.
There are many poor people here. They ask for money to people.
I became so sad especially when I noticed many people are young, 20s or 30s.
They say "I'm hungry. Give me money."
I don't know that they are really poor.
But, I gave money to four or five people today.
The amount is less than 1 dollar, though.

People say we shouldn't give them money. They might see us rich and might attack us.

I know my action doesn't work for them.
But, I can't bear to see their situation.
Now, I'm in America! which has the biggest economy in the world.
It's not exaggerated to say America dominates today's world.
However, there many people who are suffered from daily life.
and, most cases, they are black.
I knew there still exist the economic divergence between blacks and white.

A college I attend now is in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Most people there are white retires. One of my black friends said blacks cannot live in Williamsburg because the land is too expensive for them. So, they live away from Williamsburg.
And, many black people are working with low wage job.


Couple hours ago, I called my black friend and talked about that.
She explained about the history of Chicago and how many blacks came to and started living in Chicago.

I hope they have standard life as many people in America have.
I don't want to see young blacks ask for money.

No comments: