Monday, October 13, 2008

How we should confront environmental issues

Last night, I came back from Virginia Power Shift at Virginia Tech.
It was a nice convention. I learned many things about environmental problems.
The event was held to bring up leaders who take action for environmental issues.

We took four lectures on Saturday. And, we could choose the lectures that we wanted to know.
I introduce the lectures I took below.

"Fighting Climate Change through Organic Farming and Local Commerce"
In this lecture, we learned how organic farming contributes to a good environment. According to the lecturer, there are two advantages for organic farming.
1. Contributing to GDP
Replacing mass production farming, we can provide job opportunities to all individual farmers and small restaurants.
2. Maintainning our good health.

"Youth Empowerment and Green Jobs"
I knew about the buzzword "Green Jobs."

"On the Edge of Global Warming: Antarctica"
A lecturer went to Antarctica last year and showed us photos and videos that he took.
Some photos showed the moment of breaken ice.

"How to make Global Warming and sustainability the Biggest Issues on Campus"


We attended not only lecturers, but also a speech of a famous professor.
And after that, we went to two parties. I enjoyed both parties.


To sum up, it was a good experience for me. I met many energetic people and learned the environmental policy in America.

However, I felt that they need to consider "how they take actions to those problems."
I knew the problems that coal mining has caused, and I also think America should decrease its mining. Most students who came to this convention will try to set up campaign about these issues. But, they should have broad point-of-view toward environmental problems. Otherwise, it will be difficult to make other people involved in those campaign.

Although I attended this convention, I will not be involved in campaingns any more. It was a nice experience for me, but that's all.
My interest is business. But, I need to have broad point of view to the world.

No comments: