Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Lecture

I write about an event the day before yesterday.

I was invited to a lecture which is about a history of Vikings in 7-9th century.
The lecturer was a husband in my host family.
I mentioned a husband, but he is maybe over 70 years old. (I don't know his accurate age)
He loves history and he cherishes the fact that his ancestor came from Norway.

He is now retired, but he was a Director of the Far East Forensic Laboratory for the Department of Defense(it's so long..), and lived in Zama, Japan, from 1981-1984.
Although he cannot speak Japanese, he is interested in everything related to Japan! (history, culture and etc..)

I've been to his house before. I remember that there are so many historical goods and his house was like a museum!


By the way, I met him in the lecture hall and he was so pleased that I came to the class.
But, I was so suprised there are so many people attending the class to listen to his lecture.
Most of them were elderly people, and I was the youngest of all... There are more than 100 people!!
In the begining of the lecture, he said there is a special guest in that lecture.
I was wondering who would appear.
And, he called my name!! I was so astonished. (but it was hard for him to pronounce my last name "Kikuoka"...)
I standed and bowed, and he introduced me to his students. They were all welcomed, and they are interested in me.
It must be rare for them to see Japanese here. During the short break, many people talked to me and I enjoyed.

It was a nice experience and could know the history because he was a nice lecturer.

No comments: