Saturday, March 14, 2009

Feedback of volunteering in Petersburg

I haven't written articles for a long time.
It's fresh to write now.

Anyway, I came back to campus 3 hours ago from a-week volunteer in Petersburg, Virginia.
To tell the truth, I'm so tired now.
However, I'm going to write what I did and learned there because I had a great experience and want to keep in mind what I got from the experience by writing about it.

First, Petersburg is famous as the most collapsed city in Virginia.
One of my friends is from the city, and she says it's terrible.

We left for Petersburg on the last Saturday night. Actually, I was so exhausted because I woke up at 5 in the morning to watch a baseball game...

The first two days, we didn't do almost anything. We hunged out in the city and roughly knew the city.
Honestly, I was disappointed to the trip then, though I didn't expect too much to this volunteer trip. I couldn't see what we would do in the trip.

However, I didn't need to be disappointed any more when the real work started on Monday.
I don't write exactly what we did because we did so many things and it's a lot of work to explain all of them.
We helped painting the inside of house, made frameworks of housing, visited an elementary school and helped the class, helped the organization which is working on HIV problem, and visited houses in community and did survey.

I'm not sure how much we could contribute to community development, but I can say we could become a part of power for organizations that are already working.
The work was first for ourselves, but it was not only self-satisfaction.


This trip made me realize how much I am in a great environment.
My father has gotten higher salary than average family, and much much higher compared with poor family in Petersburg. The community I was raised is pretty good. I went to the second prestigious high school in the area. I'm a college student and I'm studying in US as an exchange student now.
I thought I have noticed that I'm in a good environment. However, I could truely realize the environment I am in.
I have to appreciate for that and I must not take for granted that!!

No comments: