Sunday, January 18, 2009

Internship

These days, I've looked for the opportunity of internship in Philippines.

The biggest reason why I want to work in Philippines is that the country is still a developing country.
I was born and raised in Japan.
Fortunately, I got a chance for an exchange program and I'm in America.

As you know, Japan has the second biggest economy and America is the biggest in the world.
It is unusual to have known only those two countries when we expand our view toward the world.
Moreover, I'm thinking that I'm an exception.
In the world, most of people are living in developing countries.

So, I need to know about their lives and expand view on the world by actually living there.
Especially, it is the best time to absorb everything what is happening around me. Now, I'm 21 years old.
I think I'm more mature than other the same old people. I believe that experience will develop myself.


Moreover, I think there is a demands for people who can speak both English and Japanese. Philippines is close to Japan geologically. And, many people come to Japan every year (though some are coming illegaly.)
And, I can also develop my English by being in Philippines because English is the official language and they can speak.


This exchange program finishes on mid-May of this year.
And, the fall semester in Japan starts on October 1st.
Now, I'm absent from the school in Japan for a year for this exchange program. So, I don't need to come back to the school before the fall semester starts.
So, I have more than 4 months for summer vacation.
It's too long for me.
I like to be busy, and I look for the place where I can challenge everytime.
That's why I'm looking for an internship abroad now.

Actually, I've decided to apply for an internship abroad after I finish study in America since I was in Japan.
If I can get a job as I want, I'd like to work in Philippines on mid-May to mid-September, whole 4 months.
I want to go to Philippines directly from America.

Now, I'm contacting AIESEC which is a non-profit student organization for internship abroad and volunteer abroad.
It is the best way to get an internship through AIESEC.
But, the problem is William and Mary doesn't have that organization. Applicants have to apply through colleges that have AIESEC.
The closest college that has AIESEC is George Washington University in Washington DC.
So, I contact staffs of George Washington.
Therefore, I might need to go to George Washington many times in this semester.
It consumes the energy and the time to go there and go back from there.


In addition, I'm contacting staffs of university in Philippines directly.
And, this is more exciting part for me.
They don't offer any recruitment of internship, but I'm trying to get an opportunity.
Actually, It's so weird....

As I wrote, I like challenging. I want to get the chance by myself.
They might be supprised and think me crazy.
But, I'll keep doing my best.
If I can get an internship from one of those universities, I will work there.

I know this application method is unusual.
But, I'm doing as much as I can.


By the way, I contacted a Japanese company in Philippines before I started applying for AIESEC and contacting universities in Philippines.
A staff of the company replied to me, and he said that the company might give me an internship for 3 weeks in this summer.
For me, 3 weeks is so short because I want to work nearly 4 months.
So, I didn't apply for that again.


Anyway, the most reliable way is through AIESEC.
I hope I can get an internship as soon as possible.


Tomorrow night, I'm back to Williamsburg.
I'm excited to meet my friends and go to classes!!

No comments: